As Iran retaliates, largest US military base in Middle East hit by ballistic missile, Qatar says

No one was injured, according to the Qatari Ministry of Defense.

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Saturday, with daytime strikes in the joint U.S.-Israel attack targeting military and government sites, officials said.

On Sunday, Iranian state television confirmed that Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was among those killed by airstrikes in Tehran on Saturday.

Iran is responding to the U.S.-Israeli operation with missile and drone attacks targeting Israel, regional U.S. bases and Gulf nations. American diplomatic facilities have also been attacked.

In Lebanon, Israel is intensifying its long-running strike campaign against the Iranian-aligned Hezbollah militia.

Watch special coverage on Nightline, "War with Iran," each night on ABC and streaming on Disney+ and Hulu.

Mar 01, 2026, 8:06 AM EST

3 killed in Iranian attacks on UAE, Defense Ministry says

The United Arab Emirates' Defense Ministry said in a statement on Sunday that three people had been killed and 58 people injured in Iranian attacks since Saturday.

A projectile falls over Dubai, UAE, on Feb. 28, 2026.
-/AFP via Getty Images

The ministry said that since the start of the conflict, Iran had launched 165 ballistic missiles, two cruise missiles and 541 drones toward the country. Of those, 152 ballistic missiles, both cruise missiles and 506 drones were intercepted. Thirteen ballistic missiles also fell into the sea, the ministry said.

Thirty-five drones "fell within the country's territory" causing "material damage" and casualties, the ministry said. Those killed were from Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh, the statement said.

Mar 01, 2026, 8:06 AM EST

Larijani says attacks on regional nations are targeting US bases

Ali Larijani, the secretary of the Supreme National Security Council of Iran, said in a post to X on Sunday that Tehran is launching attacks on regional nations to target U.S. military installations there.

A yacht sails in front of a plume of smoke rising from the port of Jebel Ali following a reported Iranian strike in Dubai, UAE, on March 1, 2026.
Fadel Senna/AFP via Getty Images

"To the countries of the region: We are not seeking to attack you," Larijani wrote. "But when the bases located in your country are used against us, and when the United States carries out operations in the region relying on these forces, then we will target those bases."

"These bases are not part of the land of those countries; rather, they are American soil," he added.

Since the U.S. and Israel began their strikes on Iran on Saturday, Iranian forces have launched missile and drone attacks at Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar and Oman.

Mar 01, 2026, 7:25 AM EST

US Embassy in Bahrain advises citizens to avoid hotels after attack

The U.S. Embassy in Bahrain advised U.S. citizens in the country "that hotels might be a target for future attacks" and encouraged them to avoid hotels in the capital Manama, following a reported strike on the city’s Crowne Plaza Hotel.

This photo shows the damaged Crowne Plaza hotel in Manama on March 1, 2026.
Fadhel Madan/AFP via Getty Images

The Bahrain Interior Ministry said on Sunday that the hotel was targeted resulting in material damaged but no loss of life.

The U.S. Embassy said it was "tracking confirmed reports the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Manama was struck on March 1, 2026, resulting in injuries."

Bahrain has reported being attacked with multiple waves of Iranian missiles and drones since Saturday.

-ABC News’ Victoria Beaule

Mar 01, 2026, 6:50 AM EST

Regional nations condemn ongoing Iranian strikes

Several neighbouring countries -- including Qatar, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait -- condemned a strike on the port of Duqm in Oman on Sunday.

The attack was the first apparent strike on Oman since the start of the conflict on Saturday.

Qatar called the reported attack "an unacceptable escalation and a cowardly targeting of a country playing an active role in mediation efforts."

Qatar itself reported attacks on Sunday "involving drones and cruise missiles launched by Iran." The country's Interior Ministry reported a fire in an industrial area caused by falling debris.

Elsewhere, the Kuwaiti Ministry of Defense said it "confronted a number of hostile aerial targets" on Sunday morning.

The United Arab Emirates and Bahrain also reported fresh Iranian attacks on Sunday.

-ABC News Victoria Beaule

Sponsored Content by Taboola