As Iran retaliates, largest US military base in Middle East hit by ballistic missile, Qatar says

No one was injured, according to the Qatari Ministry of Defense.

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Saturday, with daytime strikes in the joint U.S.-Israel attack targeting military and government sites, officials said.

On Sunday, Iranian state television confirmed that Ayatollah Ali Khamenei was among those killed by airstrikes in Tehran on Saturday.

Iran is responding to the U.S.-Israeli operation with missile and drone attacks targeting Israel, regional U.S. bases and Gulf nations. American diplomatic facilities have also been attacked.

In Lebanon, Israel is intensifying its long-running strike campaign against the Iranian-aligned Hezbollah militia.

Watch special coverage on Nightline, "War with Iran," each night on ABC and streaming on Disney+ and Hulu.

Mar 01, 2026, 6:44 PM EST

British PM says US can use British bases for strikes on Iran

British Prime Minister Keir Starmer said Sunday that he would allow the United States to use U.K. bases at Diego Garcia in the Indian Ocean and the RAF Fairford base in England for strikes against Iran.

The decision comes a week after Starmer denied a formal request from the U.S. to use the bases.

Starmer said the change was because of Iran’s indiscriminate targeting of civilians in Middle East countries, which he said has put British citizens at risk.

"Iran is striking British interests nonetheless, and putting British people at huge risk, along with our allies across the region. That is the situation we face today," the prime minister said in a video statement posted to social media.

He said that British military personnel were nearly struck by a missile that landed close to the U.S. Navy base in Bahrain.

"Our Armed Forces, who are located across the region, are also being put at risk by Iran’s actions. Yesterday Iran hit a military base in Bahrain, narrowly missing British personnel," Starmer said.

-ABC News' Luis Martinez

Mar 01, 2026, 6:22 PM EST

IDF says projectiles have been launched from Lebanon

The Israel Defense Forces released a statement early Monday morning saying projectiles had been launched from Lebanon toward several areas of northern Israel.

"Sirens sounded in several areas in northern Israel following projectiles launched from Lebanon. The details are under review," the IDF said.

The IDF later said that the projectiles were intercepted and that no damage or injuries occurred.

-ABC News' Will Gretsky

Mar 01, 2026, 6:22 PM EST

What was said on Trump's call with Kushner and Witkoff before Iran operation: Sources

More details are surfacing about the conversations had in the days leading up to the operation in Iran, sources told ABC News.

The president spoke with his envoys Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner by phone on Thursday, multiple sources said.

During that phone conversation, Witkoff and Kushner told the president that Tehran was not serious about ending or dismantling its nuclear enrichment program, sources said.

The White House declined to comment.

In a phone call Saturday, the president told ABC News that talks between the U.S. and Iran had been going "very well." He added, "But in the end, we didn’t think they were going to get there. And they would’ve had in a fairly short period of time some very fairly big nuclear capacity and we were not going to put up with that.”

The CIA had been tracking Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Khamenei for months, tracking his daily movements, a person familiar with the intelligence told ABC News. When they learned there would be a meeting of top leaders on Saturday with the Supreme Leader, the timing of the attack was moved.

-ABC News' Rachel Scott, Mariam Khan and Shannon Kingston

Mar 01, 2026, 5:56 PM EST

Iran's interim leadership council holds its 2nd meeting: State media

Iranian state media shared a photo of a meeting of the interim leadership council on Sunday.

The picture shows Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian, Chief Justice Gholam Hossein Mohseni Ejehi and a Secretary of the Guardian Council, Alireza Arafi, sitting around a table in a room. The Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting said this is the second meeting of the interim leadership council.

Iranian state media shared a photo of a meeting of the interim leadership council on Sunday.
Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting

Based on the Islamic Republic's constitution, the council temporarily takes over the leader's responsibilities until a new leader is chosen by the Assembly of the Experts.

-ABC News' Somayeh Malekian

Sponsored Content by Taboola