Live

Iran live updates: Trump says he’s in 'no hurry' to make a peace deal with Iran

Trump suggested he wouldn't make a limited deal over the strait of Hormuz.

Last Updated: May 20, 2026, 1:33 PM EDT

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Following the announcement of a two-week ceasefire, initial U.S.-Iran talks in Pakistan in April failed to reach a peace deal.

Trump later announced the open-ended extension of the ceasefire and the continuation of a U.S. blockade until negotiations are concluded "one way or the other."

4:39 AM EDT

Iran preparing 'more surprises' if war resumes, Araghchi says

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said in a post to social media on Tuesday that Tehran is preparing new military capabilities in the event that war with the U.S. and Israel resumes.

"With lessons learned and knowledge we gained, return to war will feature many more surprises," Araghchi said, referring to the first round of fighting which began with joint U.S.-Israeli strikes on Iran on Feb. 28.

May 19, 2026, 7:36 PM EDT

Trump says economic concerns are 'peanuts' compared to Iran nuclear threat

President Donald Trump once again downplayed the war’s economic impact on Americans, saying that the financial setbacks are "peanuts" compared to the chance of Iran having a nuclear weapon.

"Everything's going good. I'm sorry, but we have to go down and take a little journey down to --we have to do something with Iran," Trump said in response to a question about high gas prices during an event showing the construction of the White House ballroom. "We cannot let them have a nuclear weapon. You want to see the world exploded? You want to see a problem? And this is peanuts."

President Donald Trump speaks to the press near the construction site of his proposed ballroom at the White House in Washington, May 19, 2026.
Kevin Lamarque/Reuters

The president, who has brushed off concerns about high prices, said "I appreciate everybody putting up with it for a little while. It won't be much longer."

He said that Americans “fully understand” his decision to carry out the war in Iran, adding that an abundance of oil is coming to the U.S. to quell concerns.

-ABC News' Isabella Murray and Michelle Stoddart

May 19, 2026, 6:25 PM EDT

Senate narrowly advances Iran war powers resolution

The Senate narrowly advanced an Iran war powers resolution Tuesday by a vote of 50-47 -- marking the first time the Senate has approved moving forward with this resolution after seven previously failed votes.

Republican Sen. Bill Cassidy, who lost his primary in Louisiana over the weekend after President Donald Trump endorsed his opponent, voted yes to advance the resolution for the first time. He has not yet issued a statement explaining his change in position on the measure.

His GOP colleagues Sens. Rand Paul, Susan Collins, and Lisa Murkowski also voted for the resolution, along with the majority of Democrats. There were multiple GOP absences.

As in past votes, Democratic Sen. John Fetterman was the only Democrat to vote against the resolution.

The resolution "directs the President to remove U.S. Armed Forces from hostilities within or against Iran unless a declaration of war or authorization to use military force for such purpose has been enacted."

The resolution only needed a simple majority in the procedural vote to advance. The Senate would need to vote again to advance the bill. Right now, if no other member changes their votes and there is full GOP attendance, the measure would still ultimately fail. Though it's a breakthrough moment for Democrats who have for months been bringing war powers resolutions to the floor.

"It sort of feels like the momentum is slowly, not fast enough for me, but moving our way, and that's really positive," Sen. Tim Kaine, who has been leading the Democratic effort on war powers, told reporters after the vote.

-ABC News' Allison Pecorin and Lalee Ibssa

May 19, 2026, 2:54 PM EDT

Vance stops short of confirming there will be a deal with Iran

Asked if he personally believes the U.S. will reach a deal with Iran, Vice President JD Vance stopped short of confirming the two sides will agree.

"What I think is that the Iranians want to make a deal. What I think is that the Iranians recognize that a nuclear weapon is the red line for the United States of America, that they've internalized that. But we're not going to know until we're actually putting pen to paper on signing a deal," Vance told reporters during remarks at the White House Tuesday.

"We've had a lot of drafts, a lot of, you know, a lot of pieces of paper going back and forth. But I will not say with confidence that we're going to reach a deal until we're actually signing a negotiated settlement here," Vance said.

Sponsored Content by Taboola