Live

Iran live updates: Rubio says 'significant progress' made in Iran talks

Trump on Saturday said an agreement had been "largely negotiated."

Last Updated: May 24, 2026, 7:36 AM EDT

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Following the announcement of a two-week ceasefire, initial U.S.-Iran talks in Pakistan in April failed to reach a peace deal.

Trump later announced the open-ended extension of the ceasefire and the continuation of a U.S. blockade until negotiations are concluded "one way or the other."

May 23, 2026, 12:58 PM EDT

CENTCOM says it redirected 100 vessels during blockade

U.S. forces have now re-directed 100 commercial vessels as part of its blockade against Iran, according to U.S. Central Command.

Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Iran, May 22, 2026.
Majid Asgaripour/West Asia News Agency via Reuters
May 23, 2026, 12:58 PM EDT

Trump says US and Iran are ‘getting a lot closer’ to peace deal

President Donald Trump said the U.S. and Iran are “getting a lot closer” to reaching a peace deal, though he declined to divulge any specifics.

"There’s a draft” of an Iran peace deal that Trump has read, the president said an interview with CBS News.

Trump reportedly said that “every day it gets better and better,” but told CBS that he won’t provide more details until he informs Iran first.

Despite reports that say Iran nuclear talks could be postponed or delayed, Trump told CBS that any final agreement would ensure that Iran does not obtain a nuclear weapon. He added that he “wouldn’t even be talking about it” otherwise.

“I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want," Trump reportedly said, adding that Iran’s enriched uranium will be “satisfactorily handled.”

President Donald Trump speaks at Rockland Community College, May 22, 2026, in Suffern, N.Y.
Alex Brandon/AP Photo

In a separate phone interview, Trump reportedly told Axios that he would review Iran’s latest offer with his team and decide by Sunday about resuming the war.

To both Axios and CBS, Trump repeated his threats about unleashing military power on Iran if they do not meet his demands.

"I think one of two things will happen: either I hit them harder than they have ever been hit, or we are going to sign a deal that is good," Trump told Axios.

Trump also told Axios that he would meet with Steve Witkoff, Jared Kushner, and Vice President JD Vance about the latest Iran offer.

May 22, 2026, 6:47 AM EDT

Rubio says Trump expressed 'disappointment' with lack of NATO involvement in Iran war

U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that he is hoping to secure a higher level of NATO involvement in the opening of the Strait of Hormuz during the NATO's Foreign Ministers Meetings in Helsingborg, Sweden, on Friday.

He stated that President Trump is disappointed in the NATO alliance for their response to U.S. strikes against Iran, leaving further conversations for NATO country leaders, but said he remains hopeful to find other areas of cooperation between the NATO countries and their allies.

"The president's views, frankly, disappointment at some of our NATO allies and their response to our operations in the Middle East," Rubio said. "They are well documented, that will have to be addressed, that won't be solved or addressed today. That's something for the leaders' level to discuss. In the meantime, there are other areas where we continue with cooperation."

Rubio pointed to President Trump's announcement of deploying 5,000 troops to Poland, something the president has gone back and forth on in recent months.

"You saw the president's announcement last night with regards to Poland and deployment. That said, obviously the United States continues to have global commitments that it needs to meet in terms of our force deployment, and that constantly requires us to re-examine where we put troops, and this is not a punitive thing," Rubio said.

-ABC News' Alex Ederson

May 21, 2026, 6:56 PM EDT

House GOP leaders pull Iran war powers vote over attendance issues: Sources

House Republicans pulled a vote on an Iran war powers resolution that members were slated to vote on during Thursday evening's vote series -- prompting outrage from Democrats.

The vote was scrapped at the last minute due to attendance issues on the GOP side, according to sources familiar with the matter.

House Rules Committee Ranking Member Rep. Jim McGovern, a Democrat, asked for an explanation as to why the vote was canceled ahead of recess.

"Are we not voting on it because the American people are sick and tired of this illegal war that is costing tens of billions of dollars?" McGovern said on the House floor, as Democrats shouted and yelled in the chamber.

"Gas prices are through the roof. People can't afford their groceries. Is that why you're pulling it?" he said.

All previous war powers efforts in the House have failed, though last week a resolution failed in a close tied vote.

-ABC News' Lauren Peller

Sponsored Content by Taboola