US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say

The U.S. strikes came after a cargo ship was attacked in the Strait of Hormuz.

Last Updated: July 12, 2026, 10:59 PM EDT

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Delegations from the U.S. and Iran entered negotiations last month aimed at a war-ending deal based on a memorandum of understanding signed by both countries.

The U.S. and Iran have nonetheless continued to exchange relatively limited strikes despite the signing of the memorandum and amid the continuation of peace talks.

Jul 08, 2026, 4:20 PM EDT

CENTCOM says it launched additional strikes against Iran

U.S. Central Command announced it has begun launching "additional strikes against Iran to further degrade their ability to threaten freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz" on Wednesday.

"The United States is holding Iran accountable for recent unjustified aggression against commercial shipping and civilian crews freely navigating a vital international waterway," CENTCOM said in a statement on X.

Jul 08, 2026, 4:20 PM EDT

Some explosions reported in Iran

Local sources have reported hearing several explosions near Bandar Abbas and Sirik, according to State Media ISNA.

The coastal defenses of Bandar Abbas and Qeshm are confronting hostile target, Iranian state media FARS said Wednesday.

Jul 08, 2026, 4:10 PM EDT

Iran has shot down at least 30 Reaper drones

Since the start of the war, Iran has managed to shoot down roughly 30 U.S. MQ-9 Reaper unmanned drones, according to a U.S. official.

Reapers, initially introduced in the Air Force in 2007, can be armed with a various missiles and bombs and is emblematic of the increasing reliance on drone warfare in the Middle East and other war zones.

The drones cost roughly $30 million each.

-ABC News' Steven Beynon

Jul 08, 2026, 3:48 PM EDT

Vance vows US will 'punch back harder than ever' if Iran continues attacks

During remarks in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Vice President JD Vance doubled down on the president’s criticism of Iran’s recent escalation in the Strait of Hormuz, vowing that the U.S. will “punch back harder than ever before" -- though he declined to elaborate on whether the U.S. will be striking on Wednesday.

“The basic deal that we cut was we’ll lift our blockade if you stop shooting at ships. But if you shoot at ships, we are going to punch back and we're going to punch back harder than ever before,” Vance said.

The vice president also criticized Iran for going back on its word, saying it was only “well-behaved for about a week.”

“They said they would stop shooting at ships, and what happened 24 hours ago? They start shooting at ships again,” Vance said. “Now they were good, they were well-behaved for about a week, but then they start shooting at ships.”

“So the deal is very simple: if they shoot at ships, we're going to knock the hell out of them, and it's that simple, and that’s the basic way it’s gonna work,” he added.

Despite this setback, Vance maintained that the U.S. holds the power in negotiations with “maximum leverage and maximum strength.”

Related Topics

Sponsored Content by Taboola