US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say

The U.S. strikes came after a cargo ship was attacked in the Strait of Hormuz.

Last Updated: July 12, 2026, 10:59 PM EDT

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Delegations from the U.S. and Iran entered negotiations last month aimed at a war-ending deal based on a memorandum of understanding signed by both countries.

The U.S. and Iran have nonetheless continued to exchange relatively limited strikes despite the signing of the memorandum and amid the continuation of peace talks.

Jul 12, 2026, 8:36 PM EDT

Iran attacked commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz

On Sunday, Iranian forces fired on commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz while U.S. forces were conducting strikes on Iranian targets, according to a U.S. official.

The official added that U.S. aircraft shot down an Iranian cruise missile and a one-way attack drone that were targeting the vessels. It’s unclear whether any vessels were damaged in those attacks.

-ABC News' Steven Beynon

Jul 12, 2026, 6:43 PM EDT

'No action against Iran should go unanswered,' Iranian official says

Following a wave of U.S. strikes on Iranian targets on Sunday, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi released a statement, saying, "No action against Iran should go unanswered."

A spokesperson for the foreign minister also called the U.S and Israel's attacks "the continuation of a blatant and unprovoked act of aggression."

Addressing Iran's strikes on American assets in the Middle East, the spokesperson said, "Iran’s strikes on U.S. military bases and assets stationed in the southern Persian Gulf constitute a legitimate and lawful exercise of its inherent right to self-defense under international law."

Jul 12, 2026, 3:36 PM EDT

US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say

The U.S. conducted a new round of strikes on Iranian targets on Sunday, a U.S. official told ABC News.

The targets included Iranian air defense systems and IRGC small boats around the Strait of Hormuz, the official said.

The strikes were intended to degrade Iran’s ability to target commercial shipping, according to the official, who said no U.S. troops were wounded in the attacks.

-ABC News' Steve Beynon

Jul 12, 2026, 2:27 PM EDT

'Catastrophic consequences': UN secretary-general warns against Iran war escalation

United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said he's “deeply concerned" by the increasing attacks in Iran and warned of "catastrophic consequences" globally should parties return to "full-scale hostilities."

"I am deeply concerned by the serious escalation & renewed military confrontations in the Gulf, including the Iranian attacks on ships in the Strait of Hormuz, the attacks by the US on Iran, and the attacks by Iran on targets in the neighboring countries," Guterres wrote in a post on X Sunday. "These attacks must all stop."

A projectile is fired during what the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said was a third round of strikes this week against Iran, in this screen grab taken from a handout video released on July 11, 2026.
A projectile is fired during what the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said was a third round of strikes this week against Iran, in this screen grab taken from a handout video released on July 11, 2026. U.S. Central Command/Handout via Reuters.
U.S. Central Command/via Reuters

"A return to full-scale hostilities would have catastrophic consequences – for the peoples of the region, for international peace & security & for the global economy. I urge Iran & the US to urgently resume negotiations & to address outstanding issues through diplomacy," Guterres further wrote.

-ABC News Claire Bower

Related Topics

Sponsored Content by Taboola