Netanyahu says Israel will block Palestinian state

Netanyahu said he had been blocking Palestinian statehood "for decades."

Last Updated: November 17, 2025, 2:00 AM EST

There are now three remaining deceased hostages in Gaza, following Thursday's return of the body of Meni Goddard. Israeli authorities have been releasing the bodies of Palestinians in exchange for the return of hostage remains.

The ceasefire is broadly holding in Gaza. Elsewhere, Israel is continuing strikes on what it says are Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon. The Israel Defense Forces is also continuing raids in parts of the occupied West Bank.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, last week that the war "has not ended," warning that "those who seek to do us harm are re-arming."

Netanyahu and other officials, meanwhile, have reiterated their intention to block future Palestinian statehood ahead of a planned United Nations Security Council vote on the U.S. plan for post-war Gaza.

Key Headlines

Here's how the news is developing.
Nov 10, 2025, 7:18 AM EST

IDF says it killed 2 people who crossed south Gaza 'Yellow Line'

The Israel Defense Forces said in a Monday statement that its warplanes killed two people "who crossed the Yellow Line and approached IDF forces operating in the southern Gaza Strip, posing an immediate threat to them."

Destroyed buildings are seen from a guard position at an Israeli military outpost within the borders of the "Yellow Line" in the Shujaiya neighborhood in the eastern part of Gaza City, on Nov. 5, 2025.
Nir Elias/Reuters

The IDF statement said the Israeli air force attacked and "eliminated" the two people, describing those killed as "terrorists."

The "Yellow Line" refers to a demarcation line to which Israeli forces in Gaza withdrew as part of last month's ceasefire deal.

Nov 10, 2025, 7:06 AM EST

Israeli strike in Lebanon kills 1, Health Ministry says

The Emergency Operations Center of Lebanon's Ministry of Public Health said in a Monday statement that one person was killed when an Israeli airstrike targeted a vehicle in the town of Bayssarieh, in the southern Sidon district.

Workers remove the wreckage of a car targeted by an Israeli drone strike in the southern Lebanese village of Bayssarieh on Nov. 10, 2025.
Mahmoud Zayyat/AFP via Getty Images

Israel has continued a campaign of airstrikes against what it says are Hezbollah operatives and infrastructure in Lebanon despite a ceasefire deal signed by the combatants nearly a year ago.

The Israel Defense Forces claims to have killed at least 330 Hezbollah operatives since the ceasefire was signed.

Volker Turk, the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights, said last month that more than 100 civilians in Lebanon had been killed by Israeli action between November 2024 and September 2025.

Nov 10, 2025, 4:41 AM EST

UAE won't contribute to Gaza security force yet, official says

United Arab Emirates presidential advisor Anwar Gargash told a conference on Monday that the country would not "yet" contribute to the proposed stabilization force intended to enforce the U.S.-brokered ceasefire in Gaza.

Displaced Palestinians are pictured next to a truck traveling along Salah al-Din road in the central Gaza Strip on Nov. 9, 2025.
Eyad Baba/AFP via Getty Images

"The agreement in Gaza must be a beginning, not an end," Gargash told participants of the Abu Dhabi Strategic Debate, per a readout provided to ABC News by the UAE Foreign Ministry. "A roadmap is needed to restore stability, revive Palestinian governance under a reformed Authority, and sustain U.S.-led and Arab-supported engagement."

"The UAE does not yet see a clear framework for the stability force and under such circumstances will not participate, but will support all political efforts towards peace -- and remain at the forefront of humanitarian aid," Gargash said.

Gargash also said that a two-state solution to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict should be prioritized. "The Palestinians have suffered enough; they deserve justice and peace in a state living side by side with a secure Israel," he said.

Nov 09, 2025, 12:28 PM EST

Body returned from Gaza identified as Israeli soldier killed in 2014

The body returned from Gaza on Sunday has been identified as Hadar Goldin, a soldier killed in Gaza in 2014, according to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's office.

Goldin "fell in battle and was abducted in 2014, during Operation Protective Edge," the prime minster's office said in its statement.

The prime minster's office said Goldin's family was notified "that their loved one had been returned to Israel and his identification had been completed."

"The Government of Israel shares in the deep sorrow of the Goldin family and all the families of the abducted soldiers," the prime minster's office said in the statement. "The Government and the entire Israeli Defense Forces are determined, committed and working tirelessly to return all of our abducted soldiers to a proper burial in their own country."

-ABC News' Jordana Miller

Related Topics

Sponsored Content by Taboola