Netanyahu says Israel will block Palestinian state

Netanyahu said he had been blocking Palestinian statehood "for decades."

Last Updated: November 17, 2025, 2:00 AM EST

There are now three remaining deceased hostages in Gaza, following Thursday's return of the body of Meni Goddard. Israeli authorities have been releasing the bodies of Palestinians in exchange for the return of hostage remains.

The ceasefire is broadly holding in Gaza. Elsewhere, Israel is continuing strikes on what it says are Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon. The Israel Defense Forces is also continuing raids in parts of the occupied West Bank.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, last week that the war "has not ended," warning that "those who seek to do us harm are re-arming."

Netanyahu and other officials, meanwhile, have reiterated their intention to block future Palestinian statehood ahead of a planned United Nations Security Council vote on the U.S. plan for post-war Gaza.

Key Headlines

Here's how the news is developing.
Nov 12, 2025, 6:27 AM EST

Gaza death toll rises to 69,185, health officials say

The Hamas-run Health Ministry in Gaza said in a Wednesday statement that the death toll in the strip since Oct. 7, 2023, rose to 69,185 people.

Palestinians take shelter in tents in Gaza City, on Nov. 12, 2025.
Mahmoud Issa/Reuters

Three bodies were received by hospitals across Gaza in the previous 24 hours, the statement said, with another four people injured.

The death toll is still rising despite last month's ceasefire, amid sporadic Israeli strikes and shootings plus the discovery of missing people buried under rubble.

A total of 245 people have been killed in Gaza since the beginning of the ceasefire on Oct. 11, the ministry said. Another 627 people have been injured, it added, while 523 bodies have been recovered from under rubble.

Nov 12, 2025, 3:48 AM EST

Conditions in Gaza still 'desperate' as winter looms, MSF says

The Médecins Sans Frontières NGO said in a Tuesday statement that Palestinians in Gaza "continue to face tremendous hardship, including dire living conditions and insufficient aid," one month into the ceasefire.

Palestinians light fires to keep away mosquitoes amid the destruction left by Israeli air and ground offensive in the Sheikh Radwan neighborhood of Gaza City, on Nov. 11, 2025.
Jehad Alshrafi/AP

"Living conditions in the strip remain desperate, with vital infrastructure destroyed, mass displacement and insufficient aid," the MSF said. "The ceasefire must be respected and accompanied by an immediate, massive, and sustained scale-up of aid into and across the strip."

Caroline Seguin, the MSF emergency coordinator in Gaza, said, "Palestinians are still being killed and injured by Israeli forces almost every day in the areas close to the yellow line, behind which Israel maintains control."

"Palestinians often risk their lives by going back to look for their houses, as this line is still not always clearly marked," Seguin said. "To make matters worse, some main hospitals are in areas controlled by Israeli forces, which means safe access to health care is reduced."

Many displaced Palestinians "are still living in makeshift tents and without access to running water and electricity, next to piles of rubbish and overflowing sewage," Seguin said, reporting subsequent respiratory, skin and gastrointestinal infections.

Israeli authorities, Seguin said, "continue to impose significant restrictions on the entry of aid into Gaza." She called for Israel to "immediately allow a massive scale-up of unimpeded humanitarian assistance."

"Winter is coming soon, with temperatures dropping and heavy rains and wind expected," Seguin warned.

Nov 12, 2025, 3:07 AM EST

4 Palestinians injured as Israelis attack West Bank villages

Four Palestinians were injured amid reports of "dozens of masked Israeli civilians attacking Palestinians and setting property on fire," in two villages in the West Bank on Tuesday, the Israel Defense Forces said in a statement.

A Palestinian man tries to extinguish flames from a burning truck after Israeli settlers attacked the village of Beit Lid, east of Tulkarm in the occupied West Bank on Nov. 11, 2025.
Jaafar Ashtiyeh/AFP via Getty Images

"Four Palestinians were injured and evacuated for medical treatment and damage was caused," the IDF said in posts to social media.

Four Israelis were arrested in the ongoing investigation into the attacks, an Israeli Police spokesperson said in a statement.

Israeli President Isaac Herzog condemned the violence, calling the incident "shocking and serious," in a post on X. "Such violence against civilians and against IDF soldiers crosses a red line and I condemn it severely," Herzog said.

Violent incidents in the West Bank have increased over the past month.

October 2025 saw the highest number of Israeli settler attacks since the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs began recording them in 2006, the office said in an update on Nov. 6.

More than 260 attacks "resulting in casualties, property damage or both -- an average of eight incidents per day," were recorded in October, the OCHA said.

-ABC News' Jordana Miller and Ellie Kaufman

Nov 11, 2025, 4:58 PM EST

UN begins vaccine campaign for children across Gaza

An immunization campaign has begun across Gaza with the goal of reaching 44,000 children in three rounds, according to the United Nations Children's Fund.

The campaign -- run by UNICEF, the World Health Organization, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East and the Gaza Ministry of Health -- began on Sunday and will go through Nov. 18.

“It is estimated that 1 in 5 children under three years of age are either zero-dose or have missed vaccinations because of the conflict, putting them at risk of vaccine-preventable disease outbreaks,” UNICEF said in a statement.

“The catch-up campaign aims to provide these children with routine childhood vaccines that protect against measles, mumps, and rubella, diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, tuberculosis, polio, rotavirus and pneumonia,” UNICEF said.

-ABC News' Diaa Ostaz

Related Topics

Sponsored Content by Taboola