Netanyahu says Israel will block Palestinian state

Netanyahu said he had been blocking Palestinian statehood "for decades."

Last Updated: November 17, 2025, 2:00 AM EST

There are now three remaining deceased hostages in Gaza, following Thursday's return of the body of Meni Goddard. Israeli authorities have been releasing the bodies of Palestinians in exchange for the return of hostage remains.

The ceasefire is broadly holding in Gaza. Elsewhere, Israel is continuing strikes on what it says are Hezbollah targets in southern Lebanon. The Israel Defense Forces is also continuing raids in parts of the occupied West Bank.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu told the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, last week that the war "has not ended," warning that "those who seek to do us harm are re-arming."

Netanyahu and other officials, meanwhile, have reiterated their intention to block future Palestinian statehood ahead of a planned United Nations Security Council vote on the U.S. plan for post-war Gaza.

Key Headlines

Here's how the news is developing.
Nov 13, 2025, 2:37 PM EST

Another body returned to Israel, 3 believed to remain in Gaza

The Red Cross has handed over the coffin of another deceased person to Israeli forces inside Gaza, according to the Israeli Prime Minister's Office.

The deceased will be transferred to Israel and be received in military status with the chief military rabbi before being transferred to the Ministry of Health's National Center for Forensic Medicine, the prime minister's office said. After being identified, an official announcement will be made to the family, the office said.

There are believed to be three remaining hostage bodies in Gaza.

-ABC News’ Will Gretsky, Ellie Kaufman and Jordana Miller

Nov 13, 2025, 6:40 AM EST

2 more deaths reported in Gaza in past 24 hours, officials say

The Hamas-run Ministry of Health in Gaza on Thursday recorded two more deaths and five more wounded people across the strip over the previous 24 hours.

A Palestinian man speaks to a boy sitting on an unexploded missile in the Al-Rimal neighborhood of Gaza City on Nov. 12, 2025.
Omar Al-qattaa/AFP via Getty Images

The two deaths included one person who was newly deceased and one person who was recovered from under rubble, the ministry said in a post to Telegram.

The latest casualties bring the total number of dead since Oct. 7, 2023, to 69,187 people, the ministry said, with another 170,703 people injured.

Since the current ceasefire came into force on Oct. 11, 260 people have been killed, 632 people have been wounded and 533 bodies have been recovered from under rubble, the ministry said.

Nov 13, 2025, 2:32 AM EST

IDF claims strike on Hezbollah weapons depot in south Lebanon

The Israel Defense Forces said Thursday that its warplanes attacked what it called a Hezbollah "weapons depot" and underground infrastructure in southern Lebanon, as Israel continues its long-running campaign of airstrikes across its northern border.

"The terrorist organization Hezbollah continues in attempts to rehabilitate terror assets throughout Lebanon; the presence of the terror infrastructures and the activity of the terrorist organization Hezbollah in the area constitute a violation of the understandings between Israel and Lebanon," the IDF said.

A November 2024 ceasefire nominally ended the year-long cross border conflict between Israel and the Iran-backed Hezbollah militia. But periodic Israeli airstrikes have continued ever since.

Recent weeks have seen an intensification in IDF strikes, with Israeli officials alleging that Hezbollah is attempting to rebuild its military capacities in southern Lebanon -- a traditional stronghold of the group.

Nov 12, 2025, 11:36 AM EST

IDF chief condemns Israeli settler violence in West Bank

Israel Defense Forces chief Eyal Zamir has issued a rare rebuke of Israeli settler violence in the West Bank after dozens set fire to a dairy factory.

“We are aware of the violent incidents of recent days in which Israeli civilians attacked Palestinians and Israelis. I strongly condemn them. The IDF will not tolerate the phenomena of a minority of criminals who tarnish a law-abiding public," Zamir said.

"These are acts that are contrary to our values. They constitute crossing a red line and divert the forces' attention from fulfilling their mission - the defense of the settlements and offensive activity. We are determined to stop this phenomenon and will act severely on this matter until justice is served," Zamir said.

Palestinians survey damage in an industrial zone following an attack by Israeli settlers the previous day in the West Bank village of Beit Lid, near Tulkarm, Wednesday, Nov. 12, 2025.
Majdi Mohammed/AP

Video verified by ABC News show the moment a group of masked men, identified by the Israeli authorities as settlers, attacked a Palestinian dairy factory in the West Bank on Tuesday, setting on fire their delivery trucks, smashing windows and then fleeing.

Four people among the dozens of Israeli settlers that carried out such acts of "extremist violence" in Beit Lid were arrested, according to the Israeli Police.

This is the latest attack in the context of a surge of violence against Palestinians. The current olive harvest season has seen a sharp rise in "nationalistic crime" incidents; 86 incidents only in October 2025, compared to 25 incidents during the same period last year, according to Israeli army data.

-ABC News' Camilla Alcini, Nasser Atta and Jordana Miller

Related Topics

Sponsored Content by Taboola