Trump hints at 'action' if Hamas doesn't return hostage bodies

The bodies of 13 deceased hostages are believed to still be in Gaza.

Last Updated: October 24, 2025, 10:52 AM EDT

U.S. officials -- including Vice President JD Vance, Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and Jared Kushner -- traveled to Israel this week for high-level meetings, discussing the next steps in the delicate ceasefire between Israel and Hamas.

Israel has accused Hamas of violating the ceasefire deal by withholding the bodies of the remaining 13 deceased hostages thought to have died during or after the Hamas attack on Oct. 7, 2023. Hamas has said the return of the remaining bodies "may take some time" due to the destruction.

Oct 19, 2025, 9:58 AM EDT

Hamas military wing says body of another Israeli hostage has been found

Hamas' military wing said that the body of another Israeli hostage has been found and can be handed over "if field conditions" allow.

"Today, we found the body of an Israeli captive during ongoing search operations. It will be handed over today if field conditions allow," the al-Qassam Brigades said in a statement.

"We emphasize that any Israeli escalation will hinder the search, excavation, and retrieval operations, which will delay the occupation’s recovery of the bodies of its dead," the statement continued.

The bodies of 16 hostages remain in the Gaza Strip, according to the latest information from the Israeli government.

Oct 19, 2025, 8:25 AM EDT

Netanyahu asks defense and security officials to 'act forcefully against terrorist targets' in Gaza

The Israeli Prime Minister's Office issued a statement Sunday saying that Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu instructed the minister of defense and the heads of security establishment to "act forcefully against terrorist targets" in Gaza.

The statement comes after Israel and Hamas accused each other of violating the peace deal.

"Following Hamas's violation of the ceasefire, Prime Minister Netanyahu held a consultation with the Minister of Defense and the heads of the security establishment and instructed them to act forcefully against terrorist targets in the Gaza Strip," Sunday's statement read.

"Earlier today (Sunday), terrorists fired an anti-tank missile and gunfire toward IDF troops operating to dismantle terrorist infrastructure in the Rafah area, in southern Gaza, in accordance with the ceasefire agreement," according to a statement by the Israel Defense Forces (IDF).

"In response, the IDF has begun striking in the area to eliminate the threat and dismantle tunnel shafts and military structures used for terrorist activity. These terrorist actions constitute a blatant violation of the ceasefire agreement, and the IDF will respond firmly," the IDF statement continued.

-ABC News' Jordana Miller

Oct 19, 2025, 6:20 AM EDT

Israel identifies 2nd hostage remains returned overnight

Israeli officials on Sunday said the second set of remains returned overnight by Hamas were those of Suntaya Akrasi, a Thai citizen, who was killed by Hamas on Oct. 7, 2023.

"Suntaya, 30 years old at the time of his death, was abducted from the orchards of Kibbutz Be'eri," the Israel Defense Forces said on social media. "His death was pronounced on May 16th, 2024."

Hamas as of Sunday has handed over 12 sets of remains out of the 28 that had been in the militant group’s possession when the ceasefire came into effect, according to Israel.

Oct 19, 2025, 6:00 AM EDT

Israeli official accuses Hamas of attacks, 'bold violation' of ceasefire

Hamas has carried out "multiple attacks" against Israeli forces, an Israeli military official told ABC News,


"The terror organization Hamas carried out multiple attacks against Israeli forces beyond the yellow line," the official said. "The attacks included an RPG shot at a military force, and a sniper fire against a military force. Both of the incidents happened in an Israeli controlled area, east to the yellow line. This is a bold violation of the ceasefire."

-ABC News’ Jordana Miller and Somayeh Malekian

Related Topics

Sponsored Content by Taboola