President Donald Trump told ABC News on Tuesday morning he is "not happy" with either Israel or Iran after the opening hours of a nascent ceasefire between the two combatants were marred by reported exchanges. Trump said Iran and Israel both "violated" the ceasefire that he announced late on Monday.
Through last week, the president and his administration continued to push back on an early intelligence report suggesting that the U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities may have only set Tehran's nuclear program back by months.
"A short time ago, alerts were activated in northern Israel following the detection of missiles launched from Iran toward Israeli territory," the Israel Defense Forces said in a statement posted to X on Tuesday.
The reported launches came shortly after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel had agreed to a U.S.-proposed bilateral ceasefire with Tehran.
In a statement published by his office early Tuesday, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel had agreed to a ceasefire with Iran having "achieved all" of its military objectives.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu gives a statement during a visit to the site of a ballistic missile attack in Rehovot, Israel, on June 20, 2025.
Jack Guez/POOL/AFP via Getty Images
"Israel thanks President Trump and the United States for their support in defense and their participation in eliminating the Iranian nuclear threat," Netanyahu said.
"In light of achieving the objectives of the operation, and in full coordination with President Trump, Israel has agreed to the president's proposal for a bilateral ceasefire," he added. "Israel will respond forcefully to any violation of the ceasefire."
"In Operation Rising Lion, the state of Israel achieved great historical achievements and placed itself on a par with the world powers," Netanyahu said.
-ABC News' Joe Simonetti
Jun 24, 2025, 2:49 AM EDT
Trump says ceasefire 'now in effect'
At 1:08 a.m. ET, President Donald Trump posted to social media urging Israel and Iran to pause attacks per what the White House said was a ceasefire deal.
"THE CEASEFIRE IS NOW IN EFFECT," Trump wrote. "PLEASE DO NOT VIOLATE IT! DONALD J. TRUMP, PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES!"
-ABC News' Mary Bruce
Jun 24, 2025, 3:10 AM EDT
4 dead, several injured after Iran strikes in Israel
Four people were killed and several more injured in the southern Israeli city of Be’er Sheva by an Iranian attack, according to a spokesperson for Magen David Adom (MDA), Israel's national emergency medical service.
Israeli soldiers and rescue team search for survivors amid the rubble of residential buildings destroyed by an Iranian missile strike that killed several people in Beersheba, Israel, on June 24, 2025.
Leo Correa/AP
The fatalities included a woman and a man both aged around 40, plus a man aged around 20, according to MDA.
Two people were moderately injured with 20 more treated for minor injuries and anxiety, the MDA spokesperson said.
The Israel Defense Forces said earlier it had identified missiles launched toward several areas in the country from Iran.