President Donald Trump told ABC News on Tuesday morning he is "not happy" with either Israel or Iran after the opening hours of a nascent ceasefire between the two combatants were marred by reported exchanges. Trump said Iran and Israel both "violated" the ceasefire that he announced late on Monday.
Through last week, the president and his administration continued to push back on an early intelligence report suggesting that the U.S. strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities may have only set Tehran's nuclear program back by months.
Attack has ended, no reports of casualties: US official
Iran’s attack on the Al Udeid Air Base "has ended" and there are "no reports of casualties at this time," according to a U.S. official.
U.S. base locations in the Middle East
ABC News, Google Earth
Iran attacked the Al Udeid Air Base with short-range and medium-range missiles, the official said.
-ABC News’ Luis Martinez
Jun 23, 2025, 1:45 PM EDT
IDF spokesperson says attack in Qatar is 'proof' that Iran is a 'terrorist state'
When asked about the Iranian attacks on a U.S. base in Qatar, a spokesperson for the Israel Defense Forces said they are "following developments that are being reported" and are "in touch with our partners in the region."
People walk past a projection depicting Israeli and US flags on the walls of Jerusalem's Old City on June 22, 2025.
Ahmad Gharabli/AFP via Getty Images
"This is more proof of the violence, that Iran is a terrorist state that threatens not just Israel but the entire Mideast and the world at large." IDF spokesperson Effie Defrin said.
-ABC News' Will Gretsky
Jun 23, 2025, 1:25 PM EDT
Hegseth and Caine in Situation Room
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Dan Caine were in the Situation Room, a senior Department of Defense official told ABC News.
--Editor's note: This has been corrected to reflect that President Trump was in the Oval Office during the Iranian attack.
Jun 23, 2025, 1:24 PM EDT
Qatar says it intercepted missiles targeting US air base
Qatari air defenses "successfully intercepted" a missile attack targeting Al Udeid Air Base, the Qatari Defense Ministry said.
The Qatari foreign minister condemned the Iranian attack on Monday, calling it a "flagrant violation of the State of Qatar’s sovereignty and airspace, as well as international law and the United National Charter."
Traces are seen in the sky after Iran's armed forces say they targeted The Al-Udeid base in a missile attack, in Qatar, June 23, 2025.
Reuters
"We affirm that the State of Qatar reserves the right to respond directly in a manner proportionate to the nature and scale of this blatant aggression and in accordance with international law," the foreign minister said.
The foreign minister added that the base had been evacuated earlier "in accordance with approved security and precautionary procedures" and that there were no injuries or human losses as a result of the attack.
A U.S. official also confirmed that the U.S. intercepted Iranian missiles with the Qataris, with no impacts occurring on the base.