NATO: 'Russia continues their military build-up'
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg warned Wednesday that Russia has still shown no signs of de-escalation on the ground, despite claims of withdrawing troops from near Ukraine.
"We have heard the signs from Moscow about the readiness to continue diplomatic efforts, but so far we have not seen any de-escalation on the ground," Stoltenberg said during a press conference outside NATO headquarters in Brussels. "On the contrary, it appears that Russia continues their military build-up."
NATO continues to monitor the situation "very closely," as it remains unclear whether Russia is pulling back, according to Stoltenberg.
"What we see is that they have increased the number of troops and more troops are on their way," he told reporters. "So, so far, no de-escalation but of course, we hear also the message about diplomacy and we are ready to engage in diplomatic efforts with Russia."

Stoltenberg explained that the Russian military has "always moved forces back and forth."
"So, just that we see movement of forces of battle tanks doesn't confirm a real withdrawal," he said. "It has been a big up and down, back and forth, all the way, but the trend over the last weeks and months has been a steady increase in the Russian capabilities close to Ukraine's borders. So Russia retains the capability of a full-fledged invasion of Ukraine without any warning time."
As of Wednesday morning, there were still approximately 100,000 Russian troops at Ukraine's borders, including in Belarus, according to Stoltenberg, who said he hopes the dialogue with Russia will continue and that the claims of withdrawal are true "because nobody has any interest in confrontation or war in Europe."
"We are at a pivotal moment in the history of Ukraine, Europe and global stability," he added. "We look forward to seeing evidence of the withdrawal of troops on Russia's part, but we need to prepare for any eventuality, with that significant escalation of Russian troops that we have seen over the last weeks and months."
Stoltenberg's comments came ahead of a meeting of the military alliance's defense ministers, including U.S. Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin, to discuss the current crisis.





