Trump says 3rd term isn't a joke, despite term limit

"A lot of people want me to do it," Trump told NBC on Sunday.

Last Updated: March 30, 2025, 10:05 PM EDT

President Donald Trump did not rule out seeking a third term for president when asked by NBC on Sunday, saying, “There are methods which you could do it."

“A lot of people want me to do it,” Trump said Sunday. “But, I mean, I basically tell them we have a long way to go, you know, it’s very early in the administration.”

Meanwhile, tariffs on imported autos are to go into effect on Wednesday. While economist predict Trump's tariffs will raise prices in the U.S., his tariffs czar, Peter Navarro, predicted they would result in tax cuts: "Tariffs are tax cuts, tariffs are jobs, tariffs are national security, tariffs are great for America," Navarro told Fox News.

Mar 27, 2025, 2:08 PM EDT

DOJ considers merging ATF and DEA as part of broader streamlining effort

The Justice Department is considering a major reorganization effort that would include a merger between the Drug Enforcement Agency and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, according to a memo circulated to department leadership this week.

The memo from Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche, reviewed by ABC News on Thursday, seeks feedback from DOJ component heads on the potential for merging the two top agencies tasked with enforcing federal gun and drug laws -- as well as potential staff reductions within the department's tax division.

It also suggests that the U.S. Marshals Service take over INTERPOL Washington, a component in DOJ tasked with coordinating with law enforcement agencies around the globe.

A DOJ official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, stressed that none of the proposed changes to the department's internal structure are final -- noting Blanche has requested feedback from officials by next Wednesday. Some of the potential changes could also further require sign-off from Congress.

Reuters was first to report the potential merger between DEA and ATF.

-ABC News' Alexander Mallin

Mar 27, 2025, 2:06 PM EDT

Waltz to travel with Vance to Greenland

Despite the Signal scandal, National Security Adviser Mike Waltz will still travel to Greenland with the Vice President JD Vance and Second Lady Usha Vance, a White House official confirmed on an X post Thursday.

"He was always going," White House deputy press secretary Anna Kelly said in a post. "We’ve been confirming it for days."

The White House previously confirmed that Waltz was joining the trip with the second lady.

Icebergs float in the water off Nuuk, Greenland, Mar. 7, 2025.
Odd Andersen/AFP via Getty Images

-ABC News' Michelle Stoddart

Mar 27, 2025, 10:18 AM EDT

Senate Armed Service Committee leaders ask IG to look into Signal mishap

Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Roger Wicker and Ranking Member Jack Reed sent a letter Thursday to the Department of Defnese Acting Inspector General formalizing the request for an inquiry into the Signal chat.

"This chat was alleged to have included classified information pertaining to sensitive military actions in Yemen. If true, this reporting raises questions as to the use of unclassified networks to discuss sensitive and classified information, as well as the sharing of such information with those who do not have proper clearance and need to know," they said.

Chairman Roger Wicker, right, and ranking member Sen. Jack Reed attend a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing, Jan. 30, 2025.
Tom Williams/CQ-Roll Call via Getty Images

Among the requests the senators asked for, were an assessment of Defense Department classification policies, and "assessment of whether any individuals transferred classified information, including operational details, from classified systems to unclassified systems, and if so, how."

-ABC News' Allison Pecorin

Mar 27, 2025, 10:17 AM EDT

White House sidesteps on if it'll cooperate with congressional requests on Signal mishap

White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt was asked if the White House would hold anyone accountable for what happened and if it would potentially change its messaging on the incident.

“Well, we have never denied that this was a mistake, and the national security adviser took responsibility for that, and we have said we are making changes. We are looking into the matter to ensure it can never happen again," she said.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt speaks to reporters outside the West Wing of the White House in Washington, Mar. 27, 2025.
Jim Lo Scalzo/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock

Asked if the White House would cooperate with any requests from Congress regarding the Signal chat, Leavitt left it open-ended.

“We haven't seen a request from Congress come through our inboxes yet, and when that does, we'll have an answer," she said.

-ABC News' Hannah Demissie

Sponsored Content by Taboola