Live

Trump admin live updates: Trump says Hamas will release hostage Edan Alexander

Trump did not provide any timing on when Alexander is expected to be released.

Last Updated: May 11, 2025, 7:01 PM EDT

The White House said on Sunday that it reached a trade deal with China as the two countries negotiated for a second day in Switzerland. China has yet to comment on Sunday's talks.

"We’re confident that the deal we struck with our Chinese partners will help us to work toward resolving that national emergency,” U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer told reporters in Geneva. But Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent said "substantial progress" had been made but stopped short of touting a full deal.

On Thursday, President Donald Trump announced a trade deal with the United Kingdom -- the first in what the White House said it hopes will be a flurry of agreements while the reciprocal tariff pause is in effect. With UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer on speaker phone in the Oval Office, the leaders conceded that they are still working out the details of the agreement.

Latest headlines:

Here's how the news is developing.
May 07, 2025, 8:23 PM EDT

National Intelligence director declassifies 60,000 RFK assassination files

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard on Wednesday announced the release of about 60,000 files on the 1968 assassination of Sen. Robert F. Kennedy. That's in addition to some 10,000 files released last month.

These “additional investigative materials corroborate this previously released information,” Gabbard said.

Tulsi Gabbard appeared on "The View," July 22, 2019.
ABC News

“As was first uncovered in the initial tranche of 10,000 RFK files, there were rumors circulating on foreign soil that Senator Kennedy had been shot one month prior to his true assassination date,” she explained.

According to Gabbard, the newly released files “have been sitting in various storage facilities across the federal government for decades and had never been digitized or accessible to the public before.”

The latest release includes the Los Angeles Police Department’s interviews with Sirhan Sirhan, the man who assassinated Kennedy, as well as recordings of interviews with eyewitnesses.

Gabbard said additional files will continue to be “uploaded alongside the previously released files at archives.gov/rfk to ensure all RFK assassination documents can be found in a centralized, searchable format.”

Some files will have redactions for Social Security numbers, tax identification numbers and grand jury information.

-ABC News' Beatrice Peterson

May 07, 2025, 5:14 PM EDT

Budget negotiations drag on as Republicans chart path to reconciliation finish line

House Speaker Mike Johnson, R-La., returned to the Capitol after meeting with his congressional counterparts and top administration officials at the White House -- as Republicans aim to settle the final sticking points of negotiations on reconciliation.

"We're moving ahead and … all the fine points of reconciliation are coming together,” Johnson said. "Everybody's very optimistic about the timetable that we think we can get our part done by Memorial Day."

Johnson did not get into detail about the White House meeting but rejected a Congressional Budget Office analysis requested by Democrats that breaks down various proposals to reform Medicaid.

"They don't even know what proposals we're considering so that's all nonsense," Johnson said. "We're still talking about these things."

-ABC News' Lauren Peller and John Parkinson

May 07, 2025, 5:02 PM EDT

Trump administration invokes state secrets privilege in Kilmar Abrego Garcia case

The Trump administration has invoked the rarely used state secrets privilege in Kilmar Abrego Garcia's case, according to a court order.

"The court requires formal briefing of the Defendants' invocations of privilege, principally the state secrets and deliberative process privileges," U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis said in a filing on Wednesday.

Last week, Xinis denied the Trump administration's motion to stay discovery in the case.

The Trump administration previously invoked the state secrets privilege in a separate case in March when the government refused to provide a federal judge with information about deportation flights under the Alien Enemies Act to El Salvador.

In response to the invocation of privilege by the Trump administration, Xinis ordered the parties to submit briefs by May 12 and scheduled a hearing for May 16.

-ABC News' Laura Romero

May 07, 2025, 3:51 PM EDT

Trump expected to withdraw surgeon general pick: Sources

The White House is expected to pull its nomination of Dr. Janette Nesheiwat as U.S. surgeon general just one day before she was expected to appear before the Senate for her confirmation hearing, sources told ABC News.

When announcing his intent to nominate Nesheiwat to the post back in November, Trump touted Dr. Nesheiwat, a former Fox News contributor, for working on the front lines in New York City during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The news comes as far-right activist Laura Loomer called on the president to pick a new nominee following the controversy that Nesheiwat received her medical degree from American University of the Caribbean instead of University of Arkansas. Loomer also criticized Nesheiwat for being pro-vaccine.

-ABC News' Katherine Faulders and Kelsey Walsh

Sponsored Content by Taboola