APPLENEWS - STORY ADD

Iran live updates: Trump threatens to bomb Oman over Strait of Hormuz

The U.S. and Iran are yet to agree a deal over the Strait of Hormuz.

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Delegations from the U.S. and Iran entered negotiations in June aimed at a war-ending deal based on a memorandum of understanding signed by both countries.

The U.S. and Iran have nonetheless continued to exchange strikes, with the strategic Strait of Hormuz the primary flashpoint.


0

Tehran can adopt 'offensive aspect,' IRGC official says

In an interview with the semi-official Fars News Agency published on Sunday, Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps political deputy Brig. Gen. Yadollah Javani said Tehran could shift from a defensive to offensive posture.

"The armed forces will have transformative approaches based on the issued decrees, and every action to defend the country, ensure security, and neutralize enemy threats will be taken at the necessary time," Javani said, as quoted by Fars.

"The enemy initiated the war and Iran's actions are defensive, although they may also take on an offensive aspect in the future," he added.

-ABC News' Will Gretsky


Foreign ministers of 8 countries 'condemn' Israeli rejection' of Trump's 15-point Gaza plan

The foreign ministers of 8 countries issued a joint statement Sunday condemning Israel’s rejection of the 15-point Gaza plan proposed by U.S. President Donald Trump’s Board of Peace.

The statement, also posted on X, was signed by Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan, Indonesia, Turkey, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, and said the ministers "condemn the declared Israeli rejection of the Road Map for completing the implementation of U.S. President Trump’s Comprehensive Plan to End the Gaza Conflict, as endorsed by UN Security Council Resolution 2803, and the Israeli rejection of Palestinian statehood."

“These positions amount to a direct repudiation of the Comprehensive Plan, jeopardize its implementation, and fundamentally undermine the collective efforts undertaken to achieve a just and lasting peace,” the statement further said.

The statement added that Israel’s rejection of the plan “confirms that Israel now bears responsibility for obstructing the efforts to bring peace in Gaza and the rest of the Occupied Palestinian Territory.”

The ministers also said the decision “threatens to derail the extensive efforts exerted by U.S. President Trump to bring an end to the war in Gaza and establish the conditions for lasting peace.”

Jared Kushner, President Trump's son-in-law and Middle East envoy, will meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel Monday to discuss the situation in Gaza and other regional issues, sources told ABC News Sunday.

-ABC News' Jamie Dorrington


Jared Kushner traveling in Egypt and Israel this week, official confirms

A Board of Peace official confirmed to ABC News that Jared Kushner is traveling in Egypt and Israel this week.

Kushner will be accompanied by Nickolay Mladenov, the director-general of the Board of Peace, and former U.K. Prime Minister Tony Blair.

Kushner and the rest of the delegation met with the Egyptians and other mediators in El Alamein, Egypt, Sunday, where they discussed how to “concretize next steps on Roadmap implementation” and reviewed plans for when a Palestinian technocratic committee assumes authority in Gaza, the official said.

Once in Israel, the delegation will “continue the constructive conversations that we are having on how to advance the President’s historic comprehensive 20-Point Peace Plan,” according to the official.

Two Israeli sources familiar with the matter previously told ABC News that Jared Kushner will meet with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Monday to discuss Gaza and other regional issues.

"The United States and Israel agree on the end state, which is a demilitarized Hamas. We will hear the concerns that have been raised and talk about next steps. What is critical is that we both agree on the desired outcome and are finding ways to accelerate progress,” the official said.

-ABC News' Shannon Kingston


Iran army offers $30,000 reward for death or capture of US soldiers

Iran's chief army commander announced a $30,000 reward Sunday for anyone who kills or captures a U.S. soldier.

"Any individual who kills an American aggressor force will receive a reward equivalent to $30,000 or 5 billion tomans," Iran's official IRNA news agency posted on X, quoting General Amir Hatami, Iran's chief of the army.

Hatami made the announcement at a ceremony honoring journalists, according to IRNA, saying the bounty would be paid by the army to "any individual who eliminates or captures an American aggressor soldier and delivers them to the authorities."

-ABC News' Rashid Haddou