US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say
The U.S. strikes came after a cargo ship was attacked in the Strait of Hormuz.
President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.
Delegations from the U.S. and Iran entered negotiations last month aimed at a war-ending deal based on a memorandum of understanding signed by both countries.
The U.S. and Iran have nonetheless continued to exchange relatively limited strikes despite the signing of the memorandum and amid the continuation of peace talks.
Key Headlines
- US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say
- 'Catastrophic consequences': UN secretary-general warns against Iran war escalation
- Gulf states, Pakistan condemn latest round of Iranian strikes
- 'Traffic is flowing' in the Strait of Hormuz, CENTCOM says
- 5 Middle East, Gulf nations report fresh attacks
14 killed in attacks across Iran in last 2 days
Fourteen people were killed in attacks on Iran on Wednesday and Thursday, Hossein Kermanpour, head of public relations at Iran's Health Ministry, wrote in a post on X.
Another 78 people were injured in the attacks, of whom 47 remain hospitalized, Kermanpour said.
Ship fleet executive says company doesn't 'feel secure' moving ships
A ship fleet company executive who has a ship waiting to cross the Strait told ABC News the company doesn't "feel secure" moving ships amid the uncertainty around the Strait of Hormuz.
"The situation is very sensitive right now," the executive said.
The executive said the company used the shipping route approved by U.S. Central Command, which Iran said it is opposed to.
"With the U.S. cover we are more certain so we take the Omani route that hugs the coast," the executive said.
But, several ships using that route have now been struck with Iran pushing for ships to use its route.
"It's more uncertain now and we don't know if we should take the [U.S. route or the] other route. We don't feel secure enough for it," the executive said.
"Especially today, at this moment we are asking -- do we have a ceasefire or not,? its very tough to go via the Iranian route and registering with them, so far we are working with the Omanis to take that route," the executive said Thursday.
"Its a day by day situation. We aren't working in a vacuum; we speak with U.S. naval forces and security agencies that are giving us guidance, we make a call based on that," the executive said.
-ABC News' Desiree Adib
'Dozens' of Iranian drones, missiles intercepted, official says
"Dozens" of Iranian drones and missiles have been intercepted since last night, according to a U.S. official.
-ABC News' Steven Beynon
Israel says it would return 'with even greater force' if it needs to
Israel Defense Minister Israel Katz said the Israel Defence Forces are “alert and prepared for the resumption of the campaign” in Iran.
Katz said the military is prepared to “regain air superiority and carry out ‘blue-and-white’ [independent Israeli] strikes in Iran to remove threats — even for a third time," while speaking at a pilots' graduation ceremony.
“If we need to return, we will return with even greater force,” Katz adds.
-ABC News' Jordana Miller