US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say

The U.S. strikes came after a cargo ship was attacked in the Strait of Hormuz.

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Delegations from the U.S. and Iran entered negotiations last month aimed at a war-ending deal based on a memorandum of understanding signed by both countries.

The U.S. and Iran have nonetheless continued to exchange relatively limited strikes despite the signing of the memorandum and amid the continuation of peace talks.


0

Map: Strikes hit at least 9 towns in Iran overnight

Targets in at least nine different towns and cities were struck across Iran overnight, according to local officials, Iranian state media and verified videos.


Several more locations were reported to have been hit. Several explosions were reported on the island of Abu Musa at the entrance of the Strait of Hormuz in the Persian Gulf. The island has a small airport and town.

Explosions were also reported in the port cities of Bushehr, Bandar Abbas, Jask, Sirik and the military facilities around Konarak near Chabahar.

In Sirik, a local official said three people were killed and 15 injured after a strike on a commercial fishing pier.


Jordan says it intercepted 8 Iranian missiles

Eight missiles launched by Iran toward Jordanian airspace were intercepted on Thursday, according to a statement from the Jordanian Armed Forces.

No damage or causalities have been reported, according to the armed forces. Air raid sirens could be heard in parts of Jordan including in Amman.


US Embassy in Jordan issues security alert

The U.S. Embassy in Jordan issued a security alert on Thursday, warning of potential "missiles, drones, or rockets" entering Jordanian airspace.

"Seek overhead cover and shelter in place immediately," the alert said. "Remain indoors and pay attention to local announcements and alerts."

-ABC News' Joe Simonetti


1 injured in Kuwait as drones, missiles shot down, army says

At least one person was injured in Kuwait as the country's air defences shot down drones and missiles on Thursday morning, the country's army said.

At least three ballistic missiles, one cruise missile and 10 drones were "successfully intercepted and dealt with," according to a statement posted by the Kuwait Army.

"This resulted in material damage due to the fall of debris in several locations across the country, in addition to one human injury, where the injured person is receiving the necessary medical care, and their condition is stable," the army said.