US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say
The U.S. strikes came after a cargo ship was attacked in the Strait of Hormuz.
President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.
Delegations from the U.S. and Iran entered negotiations last month aimed at a war-ending deal based on a memorandum of understanding signed by both countries.
The U.S. and Iran have nonetheless continued to exchange relatively limited strikes despite the signing of the memorandum and amid the continuation of peace talks.
Key Headlines
- US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say
- 'Catastrophic consequences': UN secretary-general warns against Iran war escalation
- Gulf states, Pakistan condemn latest round of Iranian strikes
- 'Traffic is flowing' in the Strait of Hormuz, CENTCOM says
- 5 Middle East, Gulf nations report fresh attacks
Bahrain, Kuwait targeted by Iranian drones and missiles following US strikes
Bahrain and Kuwait came under attack from missiles and drones on Thursday, their respective militaries said, as the Iranian military said it had launched attacks targeting U.S. bases in both countries.
Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps said the aerial attacks were a retaliation for U.S. strikes against Iran, according to a statement published by Iranian state media outlets.
The military in Bahrain said that "Iran is persisting in its systematic hostile approach through heinous attacks involving missiles and drones targeting civilians in the Kingdom of Bahrain."
The country’s air defense systems destroyed "a number" of Iranian aerial attacks, the Bahrain Defence Force said in a social media post.
Kuwait earlier on Thursday said its air defense systems were "confronting hostile missile and drone attacks," but stopped short of identifying where those attacks were coming from.
"The General Staff of the Army notes that if explosion sounds are heard, they are the result of air defense systems intercepting the hostile attacks," the Kuwait Army said on social media.
US forces complete 2nd round of strikes, striking 90 military targets: CENTCOM
U.S. forces have completed an additional round of strikes against Iran, striking roughly 90 military targets, U.S. Central Command said in an update late Wednesday.
CENTCOM said the targets included air defense systems, coastal surveillance assets, missile and drone storage sites, naval capabilities and military logistics infrastructure along Iran’s coastline.
The strikes "further degrade Iran's ability to attack commercial shipping and innocent civilian mariners in the Strait of Hormuz."
The night before, CENTCOM said U.S. forces hit approximately 80 Iranian military targets.
Strait of Hormuz will only open with 'Iranian arrangement,' lead negotiator says
In a social media post, lead Iranian negotiator Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, said the Strait of Hormuz would only open with "Iranian arrangements."
"America still hasn’t learned that bullying and breaking promises are no longer cost-free," Ghalibaf said in the post, originally in Persian. " Let me put it plainly: if you strike, you’ll get hit. Don’t flail around pointlessly, or you’ll sink even deeper: the Strait of Hormuz will only open with 'Iranian arrangements,' not American threats."
Trump says strikes 'retribution' for Strait of Hormuz attacks
President Donald Trump emphasized that today's additional strikes on Iran were conducted as "retribution" after Iran attacked three commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz.
"This is in retribution for yesterday's bombing of ships by Iran," he said in a new social media post.
Trump issued another stark warning to Iran, saying, "If it happens again, it will get much worse!"
Trump's post included an image purportedly showing explosions in Iran that had been posted on a different social media account.
That image appears to be from a June incident in Tehran and was likely altered using AI. ABC News has reached out to the White House for comment on the image.
-ABC News' Emily Chang