US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say
The U.S. strikes came after a cargo ship was attacked in the Strait of Hormuz.
President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.
Delegations from the U.S. and Iran entered negotiations last month aimed at a war-ending deal based on a memorandum of understanding signed by both countries.
The U.S. and Iran have nonetheless continued to exchange relatively limited strikes despite the signing of the memorandum and amid the continuation of peace talks.
Key Headlines
- US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say
- 'Catastrophic consequences': UN secretary-general warns against Iran war escalation
- Gulf states, Pakistan condemn latest round of Iranian strikes
- 'Traffic is flowing' in the Strait of Hormuz, CENTCOM says
- 5 Middle East, Gulf nations report fresh attacks
Latest US strikes bigger in scope than last night's: US official
The U.S. latest airstrikes on Iran are bigger in scope than last night's strikes, which hit more than 80 targets, according to a U.S. official.
Tonight's targets include coastal radar sites and anti-ship missile locations, according to the official.
-ABC News' Luis Martinez
CENTCOM says it launched additional strikes against Iran
U.S. Central Command announced it has begun launching "additional strikes against Iran to further degrade their ability to threaten freedom of navigation in the Strait of Hormuz" on Wednesday.
"The United States is holding Iran accountable for recent unjustified aggression against commercial shipping and civilian crews freely navigating a vital international waterway," CENTCOM said in a statement on X.
Some explosions reported in Iran
Local sources have reported hearing several explosions near Bandar Abbas and Sirik, according to State Media ISNA.
The coastal defenses of Bandar Abbas and Qeshm are confronting hostile target, Iranian state media FARS said Wednesday.
Iran has shot down at least 30 Reaper drones
Since the start of the war, Iran has managed to shoot down roughly 30 U.S. MQ-9 Reaper unmanned drones, according to a U.S. official.
Reapers, initially introduced in the Air Force in 2007, can be armed with a various missiles and bombs and is emblematic of the increasing reliance on drone warfare in the Middle East and other war zones.
The drones cost roughly $30 million each.
-ABC News' Steven Beynon