US conducts new strikes on Iranian targets, officials say

The U.S. strikes came after a cargo ship was attacked in the Strait of Hormuz.

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Delegations from the U.S. and Iran entered negotiations last month aimed at a war-ending deal based on a memorandum of understanding signed by both countries.

The U.S. and Iran have nonetheless continued to exchange relatively limited strikes despite the signing of the memorandum and amid the continuation of peace talks.


0

US will 'probably hit them hard again tonight,' Trump says

President Donald Trump told reporters that Iran is "behaving very badly" and the U.S. "hit them hard" overnight.

"They launched a couple of drones and one rocket, one missile at ships, because they were in the Strait -- which they have every right to be -- and so we hit them very hard last night, very, very probably hit them hard again tonight," Trump told reporters ahead of a bilateral meeting with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy.

"I'm not happy with them," Trump said.


Kuwait intercepts 15 projectiles amid 'heinous' Iranian retaliatory attacks

Air defenses intercepted 15 projectiles in Kuwait's airspace this morning, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Defense said on Wednesday.

Kuwait's Armed Forces intercepted two ballistic missiles and 13 drones that entered Kuwait's air space at dawn, Major General Saud Abulazziz al-Otaibi said in a statement posted on social media.

The statement said there was no material damage or injuries. The Ministry of Electricity, Water and Renewable Energy announced some power lines were out of service because of shrapnel from the interceptions.

Kuwait's Ministry of Foreign Affairs issued statements condemning the attacks there and in Bahrain calling them "heinous Iranian aggressions."

-ABC News' Othon Leyva


Trump says he thinks Iran agreement is 'over' after exchange of fire

President Donald Trump said on Wednesday morning that he believes that the interim agreement with Iran is "over" following the latest exchange of fire between the two sides.

Trump said that negotiations between the U.S. and Iran will continue, but told reporters of the agreement, "For me, I think it's over."

"It's just a waste of time dealing with them," Trump said of Iran at a press conference in Ankara, Turkey, where he is attending the NATO summit. Trump made the remarks while sat alongside NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte.

-ABC News' Joe Simonetti


Trump huddled with advisers on Iran response at NATO summit, sources say

While attending the NATO summit in Turkey on Tuesday, President Donald Trump spent part of the day conferring with top advisers about how to respond to Iran targeting commercial ships in the Strait of Hormuz, multiple people familiar with the discussions told ABC News.

Ahead of a dinner hosted by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, Trump huddled with Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Dan Caine to formulate a response, which included the U.S. strikes on Iranian targets.

"This response is a direct result of the acts of international terrorism that have been perpetrated by Iran on innocent ships transiting the Strait of Hormuz," a U.S. official told ABC News.

"The Iranians know the consequences to their ridiculous actions, yet they still chose to carry out these attacks," the official added.

-ABC News' Rachel Scott