APPLENEWS - STORY ADD
Venezuela live updates: Multiple detained Americans released, State Department says
This marks the first release of detained Americans since Maduro's ouster.
Deposed Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife appeared in a federal court in New York City last week following their capture by U.S. forces in a military operation in the Venezuelan capital of Caracas.
Following the operation, President Donald Trump said that the U.S. would "run" Venezuela for an unspecified "period of time." Venezuelan Vice President Delcy Rodriguez has been sworn in as interim leader to lead the country.
Since the operation to capture Maduro, Trump has also issued threats against Cuba, Colombia and Mexico.
Key Headlines
President Trump says Cuba needs to make deal with US 'before it is too late'
President Donald Trump is calling for the country of Cuba to make a deal with the U.S. “before it is too late," as he attempts to maintain leverage in the region following the raid on Venezuela about a week ago.
“THERE WILL BE NO MORE OIL OR MONEY GOING TO CUBA - ZERO! I strongly suggest they make a deal, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE,” Trump posted to his social media platform.
The call comes after Trump has continued to threaten that the U.S. could take action against Cuba similar to that it took against Venezuela.
Trump had also levied threats against Colombia, but those have been toned down after the country’s president, Gustavo Petro, had a productive phone call with Trump and is set to visit the White House this week.
Trump also claimed on Sunday that most of the Cubans who provide security and intelligence services to Venezuela are “dead” from the United States’ attack to capture Nicolas Maduro on Jan. 3.
“Cuba lived, for many years, on large amounts of OIL and MONEY from Venezuela. In return, Cuba provided “Security Services” for the last two Venezuelan dictators, BUT NOT ANYMORE! Most of those Cubans are DEAD from last weeks U.S.A. attack,” Trump wrote.
-ABC News' Isabella Murray
Venezuela 'in absolute calm,' ministry says in reaction to US alert
The Venezuelan Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the U.S. State Department's security alert is "based on fabricated accounts aimed at creating a perception of risk that does not exist."
The ministry said in a statement on social media late Saturday that Venezuela is "in absolute calm, peace, and stability," and that all weapons are in the government's control.
"The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela reaffirms its commitment to the protection of peace, institutional stability, and the coexistence of the Venezuelan people," the statement said in Spanish.
The U.S. State Department had earlier warned U.S. citizens in Venezuela to leave immediately, saying in part that there were "of groups of armed militias, known as colectivos, setting up roadblocks and searching vehicles for evidence of U.S. citizenship or support for the United States."
-ABC News' Anselm Gibbs
State Department warns US citizens to leave Venezuela immediately
The State Department warned U.S. citizens in Venezuela Saturday to leave immediately
"There are reports of groups of armed militias, known as colectivos, setting up roadblocks and searching vehicles for evidence of U.S. citizenship or support for the United States. Remain vigilant and exercise caution when traveling by road," the agency said in a statement.
The U.S. Embassy in Colombia issued a more detailed alert reaffirming that the U.S. has a Level Four "do not travel warning" for Venezuela, urging U.S. citizens not to travel to Venezuela.
-ABC News' Luis Martinez