Maui wildfires updates: President Biden, first lady get firsthand look at damage

The fires burned thousands of homes and commercial buildings to the ground.

The deadly wildfires that erupted on the Hawaiian island of Maui on Aug. 8 have become the deadliest natural disaster in state history, officials said.

The blazes spread rapidly due to very dry conditions stemming from a drought combined with powerful winds. Much of the historic town of Lahaina has been "destroyed," officials said, and the inferno has burned thousands of residential and commercial buildings to the ground.


Maui Strong: Charities to directly support wildfire relief efforts

On Thursday, "Good Morning America" and ABC News organized efforts to help viewers get involved in relief efforts for survivors of the Maui fires.

How to help:

-- Maui Strong Fund

-- Council for Native Hawaiian Advancement

-- University of Hawai'i Foundation

-- Kokua Restaurant & Hospitality Fund for Maui

-- American Red Cross/ABC

-ABC News’ Kelly McCarthy


What we know about the victims

Over 100 people have died from the devastating wildfires on Maui. Officials have warned that the death toll is expected to rise as they work to contain the active blazes and assess the damage.

Click here to read what we know about some of the victims.


0

Death toll increases to 53

The death toll from the Maui fires has increased to 53, officials said Thursday.

"As firefighting efforts continue, 17 additional fatalities have been confirmed today amid the active Lahaina fire" as of 1:10 p.m. local time, Maui County said. "This brings the death toll to 53 people."

No other details were available.


Perfect storm of weather conditions led to devastating wildfires

A perfect storm of weather conditions led to the massive inferno that has killed dozens of people in Maui and caused widespread destruction.

The fires, which sparked Tuesday night, were fueled by an unfortunate combination of a landscape parched by drought conditions and strong winds.

Read more about the conditions here.

-ABC News' Julia Jacobo


Husband, wife reunite after losing Lahaina home in fire

While fleeing their burning home in Lahaina overnight Tuesday, Steven Scott got separated from his wife, Patricia, and had been unable to get ahold of her -- until now.

After more than 30 hours without a phone, Scott told ABC News he was able to borrow someone's phone with just 6% battery life left and his wife answered. She had made her way to Walmart and found a way to charge her phone.

Scott quickly told his wife to meet him at the McDonald's before the phone ran out of battery, telling her he would wait "as long as it takes." They were soon reunited at the restaurant.

That wasn't the only reunion for the family on Thursday; Scott said he was also able to locate his son and daughter-in-law, who had fled the flames with only their pets and a few dollars. The whole family lost their homes and business in the fire.

Scott previously recounted to ABC News his harrowing escape. He said he tried to fight the fire with a hose before managing to flee.

"I was trapped," the 70-year-old said. "We had to run to the harbor."

-ABC News' Bonnie McLean


Lahaina residents wait to return to check on homes

At the road block to Lahaina, dozens of residents who have slept in their cars are parked along the street waiting for the opportunity to check on their homes and neighbors. Right now, officials are only allowing emergency response crews to pass the blockade.

Lahaina resident Al Crisostomo told ABC News through tears about his escape from the flames days ago.

“It was a huge black smoke and it’s indescribable, it’s like apocalyptic," he said.

Crisostomo said he fears his home is gone, among the hundreds decimated.

Since the early morning, dozens of emergency resources have passed through the blockade. Multiple Hawaiian Electric trucks are en route to restore power, and several truck loads of food have also gone through.

-ABC News' Melissa Adan