Live

Iran live updates: Rubio says 'significant progress' made in Iran talks

Trump on Saturday said an agreement had been "largely negotiated."

Last Updated: May 24, 2026, 7:36 AM EDT

President Donald Trump announced "major combat operations" against Iran on Feb. 28, with massive joint U.S.-Israeli strikes targeting military, government and infrastructure sites.

Following the announcement of a two-week ceasefire, initial U.S.-Iran talks in Pakistan in April failed to reach a peace deal.

Trump later announced the open-ended extension of the ceasefire and the continuation of a U.S. blockade until negotiations are concluded "one way or the other."

May 23, 2026, 4:50 PM EDT

Trump says agreement 'largely negotiated,' includes Strait of Hormuz reopening

President Donald Trump said Saturday that a framework for a peace deal with Iran will be announced shortly and it will include opening the Strait of Hormuz.

President Donald Trump speaks at Rockland Community College, May 22, 2026, in Suffern, N.Y.
Alex Brandon/AP Photo

In a lengthy social media post, the president said he spoke with several Middle Eastern leaders and "an Agreement has been largely negotiated, subject to finalization between the United States of America, the Islamic Republic of Iran, and the various other Countries."

"Final aspects and details of the Deal are currently being discussed, and will be announced shortly," he said.

The post added: "In addition to many other elements of the Agreement, the Strait of Hormuz will be opened."

-ABC News' Selina Wang

May 23, 2026, 12:59 PM EDT

Rubio says there's been 'some progress' on Iran, possible 'news' in coming days

Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke with reporters following his meeting with India’s Prime Minister Modi earlier Saturday, saying negotiations remain ongoing but that there "may be news" Saturday or in the coming days.

"There may be news later today. I don't have news for you at this very moment, but there might be some news a little later today, there may not be. I hope there will be, but I'm not sure yet," Rubio said.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio addresses a dedication ceremony for an annex building at the US embassy in New Delhi, on May 23, 2026.
Julia Demaree Nikhinson, Pool via AFP via Getty Images

Rubio stressed that "some progress" has been made with respect to Iran, before emphasizing the U.S. position on Iran not having a nuclear weapon, opening the Strait of Hormuz without a toll, and turning over enriched uranium.

"Even as I speak to you now, there's some work being done. There is a chance that whether it's later today, tomorrow, and a couple days, we may have something to say, but this issue needs to be solved as the president’s said, 'one way or the other'," Rubio said.

May 23, 2026, 12:58 PM EDT

CENTCOM says it redirected 100 vessels during blockade

U.S. forces have now re-directed 100 commercial vessels as part of its blockade against Iran, according to U.S. Central Command.

Vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, Iran, May 22, 2026.
Majid Asgaripour/West Asia News Agency via Reuters
May 23, 2026, 12:58 PM EDT

Trump says US and Iran are ‘getting a lot closer’ to peace deal

President Donald Trump said the U.S. and Iran are “getting a lot closer” to reaching a peace deal, though he declined to divulge any specifics.

"There’s a draft” of an Iran peace deal that Trump has read, the president said an interview with CBS News.

Trump reportedly said that “every day it gets better and better,” but told CBS that he won’t provide more details until he informs Iran first.

Despite reports that say Iran nuclear talks could be postponed or delayed, Trump told CBS that any final agreement would ensure that Iran does not obtain a nuclear weapon. He added that he “wouldn’t even be talking about it” otherwise.

“I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want," Trump reportedly said, adding that Iran’s enriched uranium will be “satisfactorily handled.”

President Donald Trump speaks at Rockland Community College, May 22, 2026, in Suffern, N.Y.
Alex Brandon/AP Photo

In a separate phone interview, Trump reportedly told Axios that he would review Iran’s latest offer with his team and decide by Sunday about resuming the war.

To both Axios and CBS, Trump repeated his threats about unleashing military power on Iran if they do not meet his demands.

"I think one of two things will happen: either I hit them harder than they have ever been hit, or we are going to sign a deal that is good," Trump told Axios.

Trump also told Axios that he would meet with Steve Witkoff, Jared Kushner, and Vice President JD Vance about the latest Iran offer.

Sponsored Content by Taboola